Massage has been practiced as a healing therapy around the world for many centuries. It promotes well-being by relieving muscle pain, reducing stress, and stimulating a serene feeling. It uses different techniques to press, rub, and manipulate the deep layers of our muscles and connective tissues using the hands fingers, forearms, elbows and feet. The different movements of the massage therapist Winnipeg can stretch the muscles, encourage blood circulation, and stimulate the nervous system while promoting relaxation.
A Brief History
The use of massage for healing purposes dates back to ancient civilization. However, there was a decline in patronage when prescription drugs and surgery became popular in healthcare management. As people realize the many side effects of medications, there has been an increase on consumer demand for a safe and drug-free alternative. Medical professionals and patients began to take notice of massage therapy as an alternative therapy. The therapeutic benefits of massage therapy are finally recognized by healthcare professionals to treat illnesses, chronic diseases, and conditions involving the muscle and skeletal systems. This has become an integral part of the healthcare industry.
Massage Therapy Techniques
There are different massage therapy techniques, each designed to target a specific goal. Here are some of the most common techniques in massage therapy.
- Swedish Massage – This is the one of the most popular massage therapy techniques and is recommended for patients who have not tried massage therapy before. It is characterized by firm but calming pressure that improves flexibility, blood circulation, and eases muscle tensions. With the use of massage oils, it employs long, smooth strokes, kneading of the muscles, and tapping across a client’s back to promote the release of tension.
- Deep Tissue Massage – This technique targets the deep layers of the body’s muscle and connective tissues. The techniques used in deep tissue massage are similar to Swedish massage but the strokes are slower, the pressure is more intense and massage oil is not typically used. This massage therapy technique helps relieve chronic tension, improve posture, and helps a patient recover from injury.
- Shiatsu – It is characterized by finger-pressure technique that uses the traditional acupuncture points of healing. It unblocks the flow of life energy to restore the balance in the different parts of the body. It brings about a sense of relaxation while stimulating blood circulation.
- Thai Massage – This technique aims to realign the energies of the body by using gentle pressure on specific points. It focuses on circulation and pressure points promoting internal health and muscular flexibility. For this technique to be effective, the patient must not tense up and fight the pressure of the therapist’s stroke. The physiotherapist Winnipeg must be able to freely manipulate the patient’s limbs to encourage blood flow.
- Sports Massage – This massage is specifically designed for people who are involved in strenuous activities but this does not mean that you have to be a professional athlete as people who are active and are often working out also use it. Its focus is in treating and preventing injury to enhance athletic performance.
With the health benefits of massage therapy, it is worth taking the time to find a licensed practitioner. The therapeutic benefits of massage therapy affect all the systems of the body. No wonder people are finding massage therapy helpful in so many ways.Comments Off